Alonso again doubts driving the Indianapolis 500

0
75
Aug 15, 2020; Indianapolis, IN, USA; IndyCar Series driver Fernando Alonso during qualifying for the 104th Running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

August 15, 2020; Indianapolis, IN, USA; IndyCar Series driver Fernando Alonso during qualification for the 104th round of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso said on Thursday that he was not sure whether he would drive the Indianapolis 500 again.

The US race is the last part of the so-called “Triple Crown of Motorsport” that Alonso would like to complete after winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Monaco twice.

Only one man, the late British champion Graham Hill, made the triple.

“If I do it again, it will be a dream of the Triple Crown or trying to get the win. It’s not that you do this type of race just for fun. But I don’t know if I still do I’ll do it or not, “Alonso told reporters at the Italian Imola circuit.

“If I don’t do it again, it’s not because someone else said I can’t win, you know. If I don’t do it again, it’s because I don’t feel the motivation to do it.” , Added the Spaniard.

Canada’s 1997 F1 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve recently said he believed Alonso had stopped winning Indianapolis.

“He was strong in the first year and then he realized that if he only did this one race, it would be almost impossible to win a race. He would have to race all the ovals, and that doesn’t suit him,” he said Canadians of the Gazzetta dello Sport.

Alonso, who will turn 40 in July, is celebrating a Formula 1 comeback with Renault’s Alpine this season.

On his 2017 debut, he led Indianapolis for 27 laps before his car ran out of engine and failed to qualify in 2019. He made a third attempt last year.

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.