The 17-year-old male suspect who was arrested Monday in connection with an incident dubbed “mass murder” by Indianapolis authorities that left six people dead, including an unborn child, and a seventh person wounded over the weekend , having to wait for indictment, will likely face trial in an adult court.
He was not publicly named by authorities, but an Indianapolis Police Department report first received from WXIN, the Indianapolis television network affiliated with Fox, found that he allegedly murdered his own family after dating his father had argued about going out without permission.
INDIANAPOLIS JUVENILE ATTACHED IN ‘MASS MURDER’ THAT LEAVED 6 DEAD INCLUDING PREGNANT WOMAN, UNBORN BABY
The victims killed were identified as Kezzie Childs, 42, and Raymond Childs, 42 – mother and father – and their children, 18-year-old Elijah Childs and 13-year-old Rita Childs. Another woman, 19-year-old Kiara Hawkins, was also killed. She was pregnant with a young boy who also did not survive.
The Sagittarius killed his own father, mother, sister, and brother, and wounded another brother.
According to the police report, officers responded to the 3300 block on E. 36th Street before 4 a.m. on Sunday to find the suspect’s younger brother, who was suffering from gunshot wounds. He gave the police information that led them to the 3500 block on North Adams Street, where the other victims were found dead.
“They killed my family,” he reportedly told officers who arrived at the emergency room.
During an interview with detectives at the hospital, the teenager, who like the suspect had not been identified due to his age, said he was downstairs with his parents when he heard gunshots upstairs. He said he heard his sister scream, “He shot her” before hearing more shots.
INDIANAPOLIS ‘MASS MURDER’ LEAVES 6 DEAD, INCLUDING PREGNANT WOMAN, UNBORN BABY
Then he said to his older brother, “He came down the stairs with a Draco weapon, a pistol that fires rifle cartridges, and started firing.” He said he ran out the side door of the house, his brother followed him down the street and shot him several times.
Police said neighbors reported hearing at least four gunshots. The teenager told police that his older brother had been reprimanded by his father for leaving the house without permission. He was told the problem would be resolved later, but the son started shooting instead.
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department is operating in Indianapolis on Sunday, January 24, 2021, where five people, including a pregnant woman, were shot dead in a house in Indianapolis early Sunday. The pregnant woman, who was rushed to an area hospital, both she and the unborn child died despite life-saving efforts. (Justin L. Mack / The Indianapolis Star via AP)
((Justin L. Mack / The Indianapolis Star via AP))
“Because we found this young man who had sustained some significant gunshot wounds and he pointed us toward that address on Adams Street that we had no idea what we’d find if we walked through the door when the officers went in the door there, “said IMPD boss Chris Bailey of the station. “I can’t imagine how awful what you saw yesterday was.”
The suspect was arrested in Plainfield on Monday. Marion County Attorney Ryan Mears said he expected to file charges against the 17-year-old shortly before Friday. He said the prosecution cannot prosecute the death penalty under Indiana state law based on the suspect’s age, but the suspect is still likely to be tried in an adult court.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
If a 17-year-old defendant is charged with murder, the defense may request that the case be moved out of adult court. However, it is unlikely in a multi-victim case, Mears told WXIN.
“It’s going to start in an adult court and there is an option to take it back to a juvenile court, but it will start in an adult court,” he said.